Surviving Dependants

How to update and maintain your coverage

The first thing you will need to do is send HLIS ( a death notification. Send HLIS an email announcing the death of a staff or retiree and include the UN index number, the full name and the date of death. You should do this as soon as possible for administrative purposes.

In general, HLIS will require, as applicable and if not already in its file, the submission of copies of the following documents to process the benefits. We remind you to please include the staff’s/retiree’s full name and UN index number when sending the documents below:

  • Death Certificate of the staff/retiree;
  • Copy of an Official Identification Document from each beneficiary and bearing the beneficiary’s signature (such as passport, driver’s license, national identity card);
  • Benefit confirmation letter from UNJSPF;
  • ASHI application;

The application time limit for Surviving spouses and children of staff members who die in service is 90 days following the staff member’s passing.


Does HLIS provide in-person client services during the COVID-19 pandemic?

During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, HLIS cannot offer in-person client service. The Client Service desk (Room FF-300) will be closed to staff members and retirees to protect both the clients we serve and our HLIS colleagues. 

How can retirees contact HLIS during the COVID-19 pandemic?

During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, HLIS cannot offer in-person client service. To guarantee access to excellent client service, we are pleased to inform you that retirees and surviving family members can reach HLIS through email at and at a dedicated phone line for ASHI: +1 917 367 9727.

What makes me eligible as a surviving spouse to enroll in ASHI?

The surviving spouse should have been participating in the same health insurance plan at the time of death of the staff member or former staff member, and is eligible for a periodic benefit awarded under the Regulations of UNJSPF or appendix D to the Staff Rules, or both.

What makes me eligible as a surviving child to enroll in ASHI?

In cases in which both the former staff member and the surviving spouse are deceased, dependent children may be covered under the After Service Health Insurance programme until the end of the calendar year in which they reach 25 years of age, provided that they are not married or in full-time employment.

Am I required to enroll in Medicare Part B?

Since 1st January 2011, the United Nations Headquarters has required all surviving spouses and eligible dependent children, who are enrolled as participants in the After Service Health Insurance and who qualify for participation in Medicare Part B to enroll in the United States Medicare Part B programme. Those surviving spouses who are eligible to enroll in Medicare Part B but choose not to do so will have their claims adjudicated as though they were enrolled.

Whom to inform about your new status

Please inform the UN HLIS as soon as possible after the decease of your loved one via or