- 50th Anniversary Closing Commemoration, 4 May 2021: Event's Programme; on-demand videos of the virtual Event as well as the full version of the "Reflecting on 50 Years of Service, Partnership and Community, 1970-2020" video; link to the 50th Anniversary Bulletin and others; Raffle drawings and winners.
- Client Satisfaction Survey on UNHQ administered health insurance programme, 19 March 2021
- UNJSPF's new optional Digital Certificate of Entitlement
- End-of-year update from UNJSPF CEPA and RSG for Investments, 5 January 2021
- Sir Brian Urquhart dies at 101, 2 January 2021
- AFICS/NY started its 50th anniversary celebration online on 9 December 2020. Watch its video on demand.
- On its 75th anniversary, and amidst the global COVID-19 pandemic, the United Nations for the first time convened world leaders in a virtual format seeking action and solutions for a world in crisis. ♦ UN GA High-Level events (Media Kit) ♦ The Week 23 Sept - 2 Oct 2020
To serve persons permitted access under applicable UN guidelines, UNFCU resumed its services in both DC2 and GA 1B from 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. as of 20 July 2020
67th UN Pension Board session concludes, 26 July 2020
UN mourns passing of former SG Javier Pérez de Cuéllar, 4 March 2020
4.2% cost-of-living increase to the US dollar track starting April 2020
Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield (EBCBS) has introduced a new pharmacy benefits manager
ACTIVITIES IN FOCUS
AFICS/NY - A Community of Interests
Welcome to the Website of the Association of Former International Civil Servants/New York (AFICS/NY)
Since our establishment at United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ) in 1970, AFICS/NY (the Association) has been working to protect the interests of retiring and retired UN staff and their families. We are advocates for our members, informing and supporting them on matters related to the Pension Fund, Health Insurance, USA Taxation, Social Security, and Residence in the USA. We also promote member well-being, and foster social and personal relationships through activities such as Ageing Smart workshops and Social Events. Useful information and links for members living (or visiting) the NYC area, and in support of the work of the UN are also provided.
Make the AFICS/NY website your information portal before and after retirement!
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT
John Dietz, AFICS/NY
- Read more Notes from the President
Why Join AFICS/NY?
> To be a part of the unique community of former international civil servants with shared cultural diversity, ideals, and continued common links to the work of the United Nations system.
> To make new friends and keep in touch with former colleagues through the AFICS/NY Website, Directory and Bulletin.
> To stay informed on the latest developments on pension benefit management and investment issues. The AFICS/NY Governing Board actively advocates on behalf of member concerns and ensures no erosion of benefits.
> To keep up-to-date on After Service Health Insurance (ASHI) benefits and premiums, including Medicare Part B. The AFICS/NY Governing Board actively participates in the Health and Life Insurance Committee (HLIC) to advocate that health benefits remain optimal and increases in premiums are kept at a minimum.
> To enjoy social events, activities and workshops organized by AFICS/NY promoting the welfare and wellbeing of members.
> To get up-to-date, easy to understand information on: a) volunteer opportunities; b) income tax issues; c) legal advisory services; d) assisted living facilities, senior centres, and nursing homes; e) services provided by State and Municipal governments; f) ways to keep personal information up-to-date; g) and, to assist other members in need of support.
> To contribute articles and news items for the AFICS/NY Bulletin.
> To participate in the work of the AFICS/NY Charities Foundation which provides short term emergency financial assistance to members in times of need.
These, and other opportunities for engagement, are available through membership in AFICS/NY.
What are you waiting for?
Click HERE for information on types of memberships available, their cost, and the Membership Application Form.
SERVICES TO MEMBERS
- UN System Support: Fosters member participation in the substantive activities of the UN system by their writing, public speaking, NGO involvement and represents FAFICS on request.
- Support: Provides assistance on legal, insurance and other personal matters as requested and as appropriate.
- Outreach: Supports and outreach to individuals as appropriate.
The Charities Foundation grants assistance to members in need.
CHARITIES FOUNDATION page
The best way to find yourself, is to lose yourself in the service of others. Mahatma Gandhi
Please share your knowledge and skills. Visit our Committees page for more details on the work we do for ideas. For example:
Website Usage Tester
Technology Innovation Researcher
Research/Data Entry Assistance
Additionally: Would you like to join the UN Speakers Bureau and share your UN expertise and career path? The UN Speakers Bureau team in DPI is always looking to add new speakers to its roster to talk to a range of audiences, especially students. Most briefings take place at UNHQ, while some have the opportunity to travel. Go to our Volunteering page for further details!
UN Web TV: Today's Live Webcast Schedule
UN Web TV Videos on demand:
Watch on demand the two hour programme of closing of the AFICS/NY 50th anniversary celebration on 4 May 2021
AFICS/NY members performed 5' song "Heal the World" as part of the 4 May 2021 programme
AFICS/NY produced video "Reflecting on 50 years of service, partnership and community, 1970 - 2020". Shorten 16' version was part of the programme, and here is the full 25' version
- AFICS/NY Annual Assembly, 23 June 2020 (3h 4')
Emergency Staff Union Town Hall, 4 June 2020
UN 75th Anniversary in a time of COVID-19, 14 May 2020
Staff Union Town Hall with the Secretary-General, 13 May 2020
AFICS/NY Annual Assembly, 29 May 2019
FAFICS is a Federation of 63 member Associations of Former International Civil Servants (AFICS), organizations and agencies of the United Nations system located in all regions of the world. The Federation was established in 1975 and has offices at the UN Headquarters in Geneva and New York.
2018 Fall Luncheon Cruise
New email address? Has it changed?
Call or email us to update our records!
On the go?
You can easily also view the AFICS/NY website using your smartphone or tablet!
TIP: Use landscape-mode (tilt the device sideways) for the best viewing of the site.
TIP: You can add the link to your mobile device's homescreen for quick and easy access.
Click HERE for our Tips &Tools page.