- SG's Initiatives
- High-Level Meeting on the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, 18 September 2017
- The Secretary-General convened a High-Level Meeting on combatting sexual exploitation and abuse on 18 September 2017 in the Trusteeship Council Chamber from 3-4:30 p.m. This event served as a visible demonstration, at the highest political level, of the solidarity of the international community in condemning and committing to combating this scourge while placing the rights and dignity of victims of sexual exploitation and abuse at the forefront of collective efforts.
- The newly appointed Victims’ Rights Advocate was introduced.
- In 2016, the Secretary-General established a Trust Fund for victims of sexual exploitation and abuse. Member States that have contributed to the Secretary-General’s Trust Fund for victims of sexual exploitation and abuse were recognized and others were encouraged to participate.
- The event also recognised the signatories to a Voluntary Compact between the United Nations and Member States. The Voluntary Compact emphasizes the shared principles on which the United Nations and Member States support peace operations on the ground, and includes specific commitments for protection from sexual exploitation and abuse.
- The Secretary-General announced the Circle of Leadership on the prevention of and response to sexual exploitation and abuse in United Nations operations, comprised of Heads of State and Government committed to end impunity and strengthen measures to prevent sexual exploitation and abuse in international deployments.