THE SPECIAL ENVOY FOR DISENGAGEMENT
Second Report on the Implementation of the Agreement on Movement and Access
The Quartet Special Envoy's Office is submitting the second biweekly report on the implementation of the 15 November Agreement on Movement and Access covering the period of 26 November to 09 December inclusive. The QSE Office draws on available data sources for reporting including the EU, UN agencies, PA ministries, PalTrade, COGAT, the US Security Coordinator, the US Embassy and Consulate and the World Bank.
• Rafah has been open continuously since 26 November. Operation time has been increased to 5 hours per day. No security incidents on the Palestinian side of the border were reported. Discussions are ongoing between the GoI, the PA, the EU BAM and USAID on how to speed data transmission to the joint operation room at Kerem Shalom.
• Karni has operated continuously since November 15, remaining open even after the Netanya bombing on 5 December. Although the scanners of the northern terminal have been closed for maintenance since 28 November, the overall throughput of trucks has remained about the same as during the previous reporting period. Upgrading measures for Karni are in preparation.
• At the Erez crossing, the average daily number of Palestinian workers and businesspeople allowed into Israel has increased to 2417. Erez was closed for Palestinian workers and traders after the suicide attack in Netanya on 05 December.
• With regard to convoys between Gaza and the West Bank, detailed implementation arrangements are under discussion.
• As for obstacles to movement in the West Bank, OCHA reports an increase from 396 to 403. Discussions are ongoing between the GoI and the US, with OCHA's participation, to work out a plan to reduce obstacles.
American Colony Hotel, East Jerusalem Tel: + 972-2-627 9851 Fax: + 972-2-628 9158
Document Type: AMA implementation report (See also - Entity listing: Quartet Special Envoy), Implementation report, Press Release, Report
Document Sources: Quartet, Quartet Special Envoy (QSE)
Subject: Access and movement, Assistance, Closures/Curfews/Blockades, Gaza Strip, Statehood-related
Publication Date: 09/12/2005