Deliver for Equality
9 September 2021
- The GA should have debates on gender issues. The issues on climate, women’s rights, women, and democracy should feature the inclusion of Youth Civil Society Organizations, especially women’s organization.
- There should be a debate on the issue on online violence and harassment against women leaders and politicians.
- Women remain underrepresented in government forums, and the need to change this reality.
- To strengthen the role of PGA’s Advisory Group on Gender Equality
- Convene a meeting between the UN-Women Executive Director and women PR’s
- Empowerment of women and girls must be mainstreamed in the deliverables in the work in New York
International Gender Champion
- Registered International Gender Champion, and by doing so committed to the Panel Parity Pledge.
- Ensure gender parity in the composition of the cabinet and to conduct mandatory training courses on gender equality and prevention of sexual harassment for staff of OPGA
21 September 2021
Meeting with Women Heads of State and Government
- Recognizing the importance of ensuring that gender equality remains at the forefront of the multilateral arena, PGA convened a meeting with women HoS/HoGs during the first day of the General Debate.
- The issues discussed ranged from eradicating violence against women, women’s political representation, and combating online violence and harassment against women leaders’ and politicians.
- Create a Women Leader’s Network
4 October 2021
Women’s World Majilis in Dubai : “Mother Nature’s First Defenders: Women leading the fight to save our planet”
Addressed the ‘Climate and Biodiversity Week’ of Expo 2020’s World Women’s Majlis, reassuring:
- The significance of putting women at the centre of all climate resilience approaches.
- Focusing on building climate resilience strategies.
- Promoting women’s meaningful participation through more leadership and key decision-making roles in climate action platforms and processes
6 October 2021
11 October 2021
20 October 2021
- Meeting with Group of Friends on Gender Parity on the theme of climate change and gender equality. As an outcome of this meeting, PGA met with women scientists during the sidelines of COP26.
- The discussion fed into COP26 (including meeting with Women Scientists.
The composition of the board has been expanded to build synergies and collaboration across the board and chart a transformative path that delivers for equality:
- H.E. Ms. Alya Ahmed Saif Al-Thani, Permanent Representative of Qatar, Co-Chair of the Group of Friends on Gender Parity
- H.E. Ms. Valentine Rugwabiza, Permanent Representative of Rwanda, Co-Chair of the Group of Friends on Gender Parity
- H.E. Mr. Jukka Salovaara, Permanent Representative of Finland to the United Nations
- H.E. Ms. Thilmeeza Hussain, Special Envoy of the PGA & Permanent Representative of Maldives to the UN
- H.E. Ms. Egriselda Aracely González López, Permanent Representative of El Salvador, Co-coordinator of Circle of Women Ambassadors
- Ms. Sima Sami Bahous, Executive-Director of UN-Women
- Ms. Ilze Brands Kehris Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights and Head, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in New York
- Ms. Reem Alsalem, Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women, its Cause and consequences
- Ms. Sanda Ojiambo, CEO and Executive Director, UN Global Compact
- Hon. Patricia A. Torsney, Permanent Observer of the Inter-parliamentary Union
- Ms. Soon-Young Yoon
- NGO Member CSW
- Chair of the Board, Women’s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO),
- UN representative for the International Alliance of Women
- Ms. Catherine Pollard, Under-Secretary-General for Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance
- Ms. Jayathma Wickramanayake, Secretary General’s Envoy on Youth
28 October 2021
Inaugural Meeting of the Advisory Board on Gender EqualityMain takeaways:
- The need to draw attention to the specific vulnerabilities of women and girls in country specific situations and urgently explore how to address these challenges
- Engaging youth is a vital component to deliver for greater gender equality, and more consideration needs to be given to ensure that the voice of youth is reflected in the work of the general assembly.
- Consider setting targets for the Board, to measure the performance and success of the board. This will also help in ensuring long-term impact of the Board in advancing gender equality throughout the work of the general assembly.
- Harassment and attacks against women in leadership is detrimental to gender equality, and it is important to find avenues to prevent attacks against women in social media.
- The need to explore options to enhance the family room services (lactation rooms) in UN Headquarters, including an emergency day-care service
1 November 2021
- Meeting with the women scientists discussing gender equality. The PGA commended their remarkable work & listened as they shared their stories, their struggles & their achievements
- Meeting with the women scientists discussing gender equality. The PGA commended their remarkable work & listened as they shared their stories, their struggles & their achievements.
25th Nov 2021:
Joint advocacy initiative with UN-Women and/or IOC
30th Nov 2021:
Meeting with International Gender Champions with the Swiss Mission
TBC Lactation Rooms – progressing, deadline (by December 2021)
TBC Emergency Family Room (by 12 November 2021)
TBC Women Leader’s Network