Administrative and Budgetary Committee (Fifth Committee)
News and updates
The main part of the seventy-sixth session of the Fifth Committee began on 4 October 2021.
- Appointments and elections
- Resolutions & Decisions
- Previous sessions
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
About the Fifth Committee
- Article 17 of the United Nations Charter
- Rules of Procedure of the General Assembly
- General Assembly decisions on questions relating to the programme budget
- Regulations and Rules Governing Programme Planning, the Programme Aspects of the Budget, the Monitoring of Implementation and the Methods of Evaluation (ST/SGB/2018/3).
- Financial Rules & Regulations of the United Nations (ST/SGB/2013/4) and (ST/SGB/2013/4/Amend.1)
- Historical and analytical note on main committees (A/58/CRP.5)
A conference room paper produced for the 58th Session of the General Assembly providing an overview of the working methods and functions of the main Committees.
- The process of informals at the Fifth Committee
An article from the UN Chronicle written in March 2002 by Vikram Sura, shedding some light on the processes that lead to consensus in the Fifth Committee.
The Fifth Committee is the Committee of the General Assembly with responsibilities for administrative and budgetary matters. Based on the reports of the Fifth Committee, the General Assembly considers and approves the budget of the Organization in accordance with Chapter IV, Article 17 of the Charter of the United Nations. This function was reaffirmed by the General Assembly in its resolution 45/248 B, Sect. VI .
The Assembly also considers and approves financial and budgetary arrangements with specialized agencies and makes recommendations to the agencies concerned.
The Committee meets during the main part of the General Assembly session (September to December). Because of its heavy work load it also meets during a resumed session in March. The Committee also holds a second resumed session in May to deal with administrative and budgetary aspects of UN Peacekeeping. This practice is in accordance with General Assembly resolution 49/233 A of 23 December 1994.
The Fifth Committee may also consider urgent matters relating to the financing of a peacekeeping mission authorized by the Security Council at any of its sessions.