Sport and security programme
UNOCT's sports and security programme, the Global Programme on Security of Major Sporting Events, and Promotion of Sport and Its Values as a Tool to Prevent Violent Extremism, benefits law enforcement, police, public and private companies involved in organizing any sport events.
This programme seeks to:
- Increase Member States awareness of terrorism-related threats against vulnerable targets in the context of major sporting events
- Use sport and its values as a tool to build resilience especially among youth
- Prevent violent extremism
- Increase the ability of Member States to prevent and counter threats against major sporting events.
Promoting sports and its values
Youth resilience is recognized as an enabler of sustainable development in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, in Security Council resolution 2419 (2018) on Youth, Peace and Security, as well as in General Assembly resolution 73/24 on Sport.
A significant component of the UN Office of Counter-Terrorism and its partners’ work will be devoted to promoting sports and its value as an important tool to prevent radicalization and violent extremism conducive to terrorism.
Funded by the State of Qatar, the UN Peace and Development Fund and the Republic of Korea, UNOCT is leading the Global Programme implementation in partnership with the UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute, the UN Alliance of Civilizations and the International Centre for Sport Security as well as in consultation with the UN Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate and INTERPOL.
Programme Partners work in coordination with UN entities with a mandate on sport to duly synthetize the UN-level vision and with sports federations regional organizations, academia and private companies to ensure coherent support to Member States and Civil Society and further value existing efforts.
Watch the launch of the 'Global Programme on Security of Major Sporting Events, and Promotion of Sport and Its Values as a Tool to Prevent Violent Extremism'.
Details of the Global Sports Programme:
- Project title: Global Programme on Security of Major Sporting Events, and Promotion of Sport and Its Values as a Tool to Prevent Violent Extremism
- Project duration: January 2020 - December 2022
- Implementation partners: UN Office of Counter-Terrorism, in partnership with UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute, UN Alliance of Civilizations and the International Centre for Sport Security, and in consultation with relevant United Nations entities, including the UN Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate
- Beneficiaries: Law enforcement, security services, relevant ministries, civil society organizations (CSOs), public and private sector entities involved in the security of major sporting events, and sports-based C/PVE-related initiatives
- Contributors: the project is supported by the State of Qatar, the United Nations Peace and Development Fund (People’s Republic of China) and the Republic of Korea.