Committee on Contributions
The expenses of the Organization shall be borne by the Members as apportioned by the General Assembly.
(Article 17, paragraph 2, of the Charter of the United Nations)
The Committee on Contributions advises the General Assembly on the apportionment , under Article 17, of the expenses of the Organization among Members broadly according to capacity to pay. The Committee also advises the General Assembly on the assessments to be fixed for new Members, and on appeals by Members for a change of assessments.
The Committee also provides advice on the action to be taken with regard to the application of Article 19 of the Charter.
A Member of the United Nations which is in arrears in the payment of its financial contributions to the Organization shall have no vote in the General Assembly if the amount of its arrears equals or exceeds the amount of the contributions due from it for the preceding two full years. The General Assembly may, nevertheless, permit such a Member to vote if it is satisfied that the failure to pay is due to conditions beyond the control of the Member. (Article 19 of the Charter of the United Nations)
The Committee on Contributions meets annually for 3 to 4 weeks, usually in June of each year. The report of the Committee is considered by the General Assembly at its main session. The report of the Committee on Contributions at its seventy-seventh session (5-23 June 2017) is contained in document A/72/11.
The Committee on Contributions will hold its seventy-eighth session at Headquarters from 4 to 29 June 2018.
- Briefing on the methodology for the scale of assessments (June 2017)
- Note on the data sources for calculating the scale of assessments (June 2017)
- Committee on Contributions recommends more timely submission of data
by Member States under the 1993 SNA or 2008 SNA (see 73rd session summary, June 2013)
- Learn more about National Accounts Data http://unstats.un.org/unsd/nationalaccount/data.asp
- See National Accounts Data by country http://unstats.un.org/unsd/snaama/selCountry.asp
- New scale of assessments approved for 2016-2018 (resolution 70/245, December 2015)
- Levels and rates for peacekeeping operations approved for 2016-2018 (see A/70/331/Add.1, December 2015)
- Approved resources for peacekeeping operations (inclusive of Support Account and UNLB share) for 2017/2018