The occupied Syrian Golan
Report of the Secretary-General *
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to General Assembly resolution 62/110 of 17 December 2007, the operative part of which reads as follows:
2. On 4 September 2008, the Secretary-General addressed a note verbale to the Government of Israel, in which he requested, in view of his reporting responsibilities under the above-mentioned resolution, that the Government inform him of any steps it had taken, or envisaged taking, concerning the implementation of the relevant provisions of the resolution.
3. No reply had been received at the time of the preparation of the present report.
4. By a note verbale dated 4 September 2008 sent to all Permanent Missions to the United Nations regarding General Assembly resolutions 62/107 and 62/110, the Secretary-General drew the attention of all Member States to paragraph 6 of resolution 62/110.
5. On 17 September 2008, the Permanent Mission of Lebanon to the United Nations replied to the note verbale informing the Secretary-General that the Government of Lebanon had contributed to the final declaration of the Organization of the Islamic Conference at its eleventh session in which the Conference condemned the continuing human rights violations of the Palestinian people by Israel, as well as in the occupied Syrian Golan.
6. On 22 September 2008, the Permanent Mission of Colombia to the United Nations replied to the note verbale informing the Secretary-General that with regard to resolution 62/110 the Government of Colombia did not recognize any of the legislative or administrative measures taken by Israel in the occupied Syrian Golan.
* The document was submitted late to conference services without the explanation required under paragraph 8 of General Assembly resolution 53/208 B, by which the Assembly decided that, if a report is submitted late, the reason should be included in a footnote to the document.
Document Type: Report, Secretary-General Report
Document Sources: General Assembly, Secretary-General, Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices
Country: Colombia, Lebanon
Subject: Agenda Item, Golan Heights, Human rights and international humanitarian law, Legal issues, Occupation, Settlements
Publication Date: 15/10/2008