Revitalization of the work of the General Assembly
By resolution 74/303 of 4 September 2020, tthe General Assembly decided to establish at its 75th session an ad hoc working group on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly (AHWG), open to all Member States, “to identify further ways to enhance the role, authority, effectiveness and efficiency of the Assembly, inter alia, by building on the progress achieved in past sessions as well as on previous resolutions, including evaluating the status of their implementation” and to submit a report thereon to the Assembly at its 75th session.
By the same resolution, the General Assembly also decided that the Ad Hoc Working Group shall continue its review of the inventory of General Assembly resolutions on revitalization annexed to the report of the Ad Hoc Working Group submitted at the seventy-third session (see p.31 of document A/73/956) and continue to update the inventory to be attached to the report to be submitted at the seventy-fifth session of the Assembly.
Among specific mandates for the 75th session, the Assembly:
- Requested the Secretariat to continue updating regularly and equally the multilingual web page devoted to the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly in all six official languages and its substantive content within existing resources in a cost-effective manner, including through the use of existing capabilities such as automation of translation, while ensuring the accuracy of translation;
- Requests the Secretary-General to undertake within existing resources an analysis of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the work of the General Assembly and to provide a briefing thereon to the Ad Hoc Working Group during the seventy-fifth session.
- Letter from the President of the 75th session of the General Assembly: Appointment of Co-Chairs of the AHWG on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly (3 November 2020)
- Tentative programme of work of the AHWG on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly (3 February 2021)
- Thematic debates of the AHWG (23 February 2021)
Updated inventory chart
- Draft updated inventory chart of General Assembly resolutions on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly to be issued pursuant to resolution 74/303 (as of 3 February 2021)