At the beginning of each session, the General Committee considers the provisional agenda and the supplementary list and makes recommendations to the General Assembly.
The role of the General Committee has been further strengthened over the past few sessions with the holding of informal meetings and briefings, open to all Member States, on specific issues under consideration by or pertaining to the work of the Assembly.
The General Committee also makes recommendations to the General Assembly concerning the closing date of the session. It assists the President and the General Assembly in drawing up the agenda for each plenary meeting, and in the general conduct of the work of the General Assembly.
It shall not however, decide on any political question.
[Source: Rules of procedures of the General Assembly, Section VI]
Composition for the 68th Session
The General Committee is composed of the President and 21 Vice-Presidents of the Assembly and the Chairmen of the six Main Committees.
- President: H.E. Mr. John Ashe of Antigua and Barbuda
- South Sudan
- Solomon Islands
Eastern European States
Latin American and Caribbean States
Western European and Other States
Five permanent members of the Security Council
- Russian Federation
- United Kingdom
- United States
Chairpersons of the six Main Committees
- H.E. Ibrahim Dabbashi (Libya) - First Committee
- H.E. Abdou Salam Diallo (Senegal) - Second Committee
- H.E. Stephan Tafrov (Bulgaria) - Third Committee
- H.E. Carlos García Gonzalez (El Salvador) - Fourth Committee
- H.E. Janne Taalas (Finland) - Fifth Committee
- H.E. Palitha Kohona (Sri Lanka) - Sixth Committee
- Organization of the 68th regular session of the General Assembly, adoption of the agenda and allocation of items [A/BUR/68/1]
- First report of the Committee [A/68/250]
- Second report of the Committee [A/68/250/Add.1]