Rules of procedure
Annex XI (a)
Code of ethics for the President of the General Assembly
1. The President of the General Assembly in performing his or her duties and responsibilities as an elected official, fully in line with the Charter of the United Nations and the rules of procedure of the General Assembly, shall at all times from the date of election observe the highest standards of ethical conduct.
2. The President shall perform his or her duties and responsibilities in an impartial and equitable manner and in full honesty and good faith.
3. The President shall avoid any action that might result in or create the appearance of:
- (a) The use of the office of the Presidency or resources attached thereto for private gain;
- (b) Giving unwarranted preferential treatment to any State, organization or person;
- (c) Impeding the work of the Organization, or taking a preferential, biased or prejudged approach;
- (d) Affecting adversely the confidence of Member States in the integrity of the work of the Organization.
4. The President shall engage with Member States in a consultative and cooperative manner, while at the same time refraining from receiving or accepting instructions from any individual or governmental or non-governmental organization or group whatsoever.
5. The President shall avoid any situation involving a conflict between his or her own personal or private interest and the interests of the Presidency or the United Nations.
6. The President shall ensure the greatest possible transparency in the utilization of property, premises, services and resources made available for the discharge of the functions of the office and ensure that they are used only for the official business of the Presidency and not for other purposes.
7. The President shall ensure the greatest possible transparency in any external activities, and any commercial dealings, to protect against conflict of interest. Holding of any commercial office during his or her term in office is not compatible with the post of the President.
8. In the event that the President considers that a conflict of interest may arise, he or she shall recuse himself or herself from handling the matter and, in accordance with the rules of procedure of the General Assembly, appoint an Acting President in relation to that matter or meeting.
9. In the fulfilment of his or her mandate, the President is accountable to the General Assembly.
10. Any reference to the President in the present code shall also include members of his or her office while in the exercise of their functions as members of the Office of the President of the General Assembly.
11. Nothing in this code shall preclude the President or members of his or her Office from being seconded from their Government or from retaining the privileges, immunities and diplomatic status granted by a Member State.
(a) By resolution 70/305 of 13 September 2016, the General Assembly decided that the President of the General Assembly shall observe a code of ethics, as detailed in annex II to the resolution, and that the text of the code of ethics for the President of the Assembly shall be annexed to the rules of procedure of the Assembly.