The Human Security Approach: From Principles to Practice – An interactive training course
The concept of human security has been driven by the urgency to better respond to people’s needs and vulnerabilities in a world of complex and multiple challenges spilling into all aspects of their lives.
Human security places the individual as the referent object of security and underscores the need to consider the survival, livelihood and dignity of individuals as the fundamental basis for national, regional and international peace and development. It offers a practical framework to develop integrated policies and programmes to prevent, mitigate and respond to complex challenges and their multidimensional impacts in a manner that is people-centred, comprehensive, context-specific and prevention-oriented.
Understanding the human security approach: For a short overview of the human security concept, its operational principles and its value to help address complex crises such as COVID-19, click here.
Getting started with human security programming: For a short explanation on how to apply the human security approach to develop integrated policies and programmes, click here.
The Human Security Approach: From Principles to Practice: For a complete training programme on human security and its application, click here.
This interactive training course has been designed for anyone interested in learning more about the human security approach and how to apply it to develop policies and programmes that are better suited to prevent and respond to complex challenges, including persistent poverty and inequality, climate change, transition from humanitarian crises to long-term development, migration and displacement, and health pandemics such as COVID-19.
The course combines dynamic learning methods and case study application broken down into six easy-to-follow modules. Upon completion of this self-paced course, participants will be able to:
- Understand human security, its operational principles, and its added value as a practical framework well-suited to today’s complex and interconnected challenges.
- Apply the human security approach to design integrated policies and programmes.
- Use or adapt tools to advance localized and disaggregated analyses for a deeper understanding of persistent threats and emerging risks to the survival, livelihood and dignity of people.
- Promote strategies that enable early action, reduce vulnerability and build resilience through inclusive and participatory processes that leave no one behind.
- Benefit from an extensive repertoire of lessons learned and good practices based on the wealth of experience from the UN Trust Fund for Human Security.