20 July 2021
WHAT: The three-day Pre-Summit gathering of the UN Food Systems Summit is less than a week away, starting on Monday, July 26.
Virtual media accreditation will close this Sunday, July 25 (register here).
A schedule of press briefings, press conferences and media events throughout the Pre-Summit will be published for accredited media only by Friday, July 23.
WHEN: The Pre-Summit begins with the opening plenary at 09:00 CEST, Monday, July 26. The tentative agenda for the Pre-Summit is available online.
WHO: Among the delegates due to participate in the Pre-Summit are:
- Mario Draghi, Prime Minister of Italy
- Katrin Jakobsdottir, Prime Minister of Iceland
- H.R.H. Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, Princess of Thailand
- Beatriz Argimon, Vice President of Uruguay
- António Guterres, UN Secretary-General
- Amina Mohammed, UN Deputy Secretary-General
- Agnes Kalibata, UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for the 2021 Food Systems Summit
- Karina Gould, Minister of Development, Canada
- Jewel Bronaugh, Deputy Secretary, Department of Agriculture, US
- María Juliana Ruiz, First Lady of Colombia
- Ban Ki-moon, Former Secretary-General, UN
- Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Sabrina Elba, UN Goodwill Ambassador for the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
The Summit will also be supported by representatives from across UN agencies including:
- Inger Andersen, Chair, UN Task Force and Executive Director, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- David Beasley, Executive Director, World Food Programme (WFP)
- Qu Dongyu, Director-General, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Henrietta Fore, Executive Director, United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- Gilbert Houngbo, President, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Executive Director, UN Women
- Elizabeth Mrema, Executive Secretary, Convention on Biological Diversity
- Peter Thomson, UN Special Envoy for the Oceans
- Ibrahim Thiaw, Executive Secretary, United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)
- Thanawat Tiensin, CFS Chairperson and Permanent Representative of Thailand to FAO,
- IFAD and WFP
- Gerda Verburg, Coordinator, Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement
- Naoko Yamamoto, Chairperson, UN Nutrition
Notes to editors
For more information, contact FSScommunications@un.org
About the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit
The UN Food Systems Summit was announced by the UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, on World Food Day last October as a part of the Decade of Action for delivery on the SDGs by 2030. The aim of the Summit is to deliver progress on all 17 of the SDGs through a food systems approach, leveraging the interconnectedness of food systems to global challenges such as hunger, climate change, poverty and inequality. More information about the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit and list of Advisory Committee and Scientific Group members can be found online: https://www.un.org/foodsystemssummit
The Food Systems Pre-Summit is being held in Rome under the leadership of the Secretary-General and in partnership with the Government of Italy from July 26 to July 28 before the Summit in September.