Talking to children about the coronavirus
(adapted from UNICEF)
- Don’t be afraid to discuss the coronavirus
- Be developmentally appropriate
- Don’t offer too much information, this can be overwhelming.
- Instead, try to answer your child’s questions.
- Answer honestly and clearly as best you can.
- It’s ok to not have the answers; being available to your child is what’s most important.
- Take your cues from your child
- Invite them to tell you anything they’ve heard, and how they feel.
- Allow them to ask any questions whenever they need.
- Your goal is to avoid encouraging frightening fantasies.
For more information about how to talk to your kids, visit UNICEF's website.