Revitalization of the work of the General Assembly
Current session (69th)
By resolution 68/307 of 10 September 2014, the General Assembly decided to establish at its 69th session an ad hoc working group on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly (AHWG), open to all Member States, “to identify further ways to enhance the role, authority, effectiveness and efficiency of the Assembly, inter alia, by building on the progress achieved in past sessions of the Assembly as well as on previous resolutions, including evaluating the status of their implementation” and to submit a report thereon to the Assembly at its 69th session.
By the same resolution, the General Assembly also decided that the AHWG shall continue its review of the inventory (see p.29) of General Assembly resolutions on revitalization annexed to its report submitted at the 68th session of the Assembly.
Among specific mandates for the 69th session, the Assembly:
- Requested each Main Committee to further discuss its working methods at the beginning of every session, and in this regard invited the Chairs of the Main Committees to brief the AHWG at the 69th session, as appropriate.
- Requested the AHWG to prepare long-term arrangements concerning the election of Chairs and Rapporteurs of the Main Committees of the General Assembly with the aim of establishing a predictable, transparent and fair mechanism for the elections and that it submits them to the Assembly no later than the 72nd session. In this context, see also the interim arrangement on the pattern for the rotation of the chairs of the Main Committees adopted by the General Assembly in its decision 68/505 of 1 October 2013.
- Requested the President of the General Assembly, in cooperation with the Secretariat, to report to the AHWG on the role, mandate and activities of the President.
- Requested the Secretary-General to report on sources of the funding and staffing of the Office of the President of the Assembly, including on any technical, logistical, protocol-related or financial questions, and for more clarification on the budgetary basis for the provision of such support by the Secretariat.
- Appointment of Co-Chairs of the AHWG on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly (13 October 2014)
Updated inventory chart
- Draft updated inventory chart of General Assembly resolutions on the revitalization of the work of the General Assembly to be issued pursuant to resolution 68/307
- President of the General Assembly 69th Session, H.E. Mr. Sam Sam Kahamba Kutesa (3 March 2015)
- Briefing by Director of the Outreach Division and Officer-in-Charge of the Department of Public Information, Mr. Maher Nasser, 19 March 2015)