At the beginning of each session, the General Committee considers the provisional agenda and the supplementary list and makes recommendations to the General Assembly.
The role of the General Committee has been further strengthened over the past few sessions with the holding of informal meetings and briefings, open to all Member States, on specific issues under consideration by or pertaining to the work of the Assembly.
The General Committee also makes recommendations to the General Assembly concerning the closing date of the session. It assists the President and the General Assembly in drawing up the agenda for each plenary meeting, and in the general conduct of the work of the General Assembly.
It shall not however, decide on any political question.
[Source: Rules of procedures of the General Assembly, Section VI]
Composition for the 67th Session
The General Committee is composed of the President and 21 Vice-Presidents of the Assembly and the Chairmen of the six Main Committees.
President: H.E. Mr. Vuk Jeremic (Serbia)
- Russian Federation
- Sierra Leone
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- United States of America
Chairpersons of the six Main Committees
- H.E. Desra Percaya (Indonesia) - First Committee
- H.E. George Talbot (Guyana) - Second Committee
- H.E. Henry Mac-Donald (Suriname) - Third Committee
- H.E. Nelson Messone (Gabon) - Fourth Committee
- H.E. Miguel Berger (Germany) - Fifth Committee
- H.E. Yuriy Sergeyev (Ukraine) - Sixth Committee