Composition for the 69th session
The General Committee is composed of the President of the General Assembly and 21 Vice-Presidents of the Assembly and the Chairmen of the six Main Committees. The five permanent members of the Security Council serve as Vice-Presidents, as well.
- President: H.E. Mr. Sam Kutesa (Uganda)
Chairpersons of the six Main Committees
- H.E. Mr. Courtenay Rattray (Jamaica) - First Committee
- H.E. Mr. Sebastiano Cardi (Italy) - Second Committee
- H.E. Mrs. Sofia Mesquita Borges (Timor-Leste) - Third Committee
- H.E. Mr. Durga Prasad Bhattarai (Nepal) - Fourth Committee
- H.E. Mr. Frantisek Ruzicka (Slovakia) - Fifth Committee
- H.E. Mr. Tuvako N. Manongi (United Republic of Tanzania) - Sixth Committee
Eastern European States
Latin American and Caribbean States
Western European and Other States
Permanent members of the Security Council
At the beginning of each session, the General Committee considers the provisional agenda and the supplementary list and makes recommendations to the General Assembly.
The role of the General Committee has been further strengthened over the past few sessions with the holding of informal meetings and briefings, open to all Member States, on specific issues under consideration by or pertaining to the work of the Assembly.
The General Committee also makes recommendations to the General Assembly concerning the closing date of the session. It assists the President and the General Assembly in drawing up the agenda for each plenary meeting, and in the general conduct of the work of the General Assembly.
It shall not however, decide on any political question (Rules of procedures of the General Assembly, Section VI).