To observe the International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism, the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) and the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) organised several events:
- On Tuesday 20 August UNOCT/UNCCT screened a documentary under the Victims of Terrorism Documentary Series that focuses on challenges faced by victims of Boko Haram in Cameroon and Nigeria. The documentary is co-produced with the UN Department of Global Communications. See the documentary 'Resilience in the Face of Terrorism: Victims' Voices from Cameroon and Nigeria'
- Vladimir Voronkov, the Under-Secretary-General for Counter-Terrorism, recorded a message on the occasion of the International Day.
- On Wednesday 21 August, the launch of a photo exhibition, co-hosted by UNOCT/UNCCT and the Group of Friends of Victims of Terrorism, took place. H.E. Mr. António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations opened the exhibition which features victims’ stories demonstrating their individual journey and experience of resilience. Key note speakers also included the Under-Secretary-General of UNOCT Vladimir Voronkov, the co-chairs of the Group of Friends of Victims of Terrorism and victims from around the world.
Statements delivered on the occasion of the International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism:
- Statement delivered by Secretary-General of the United Nations António Guterres
- Statement delivered by Under-Secretary-General for Counter-Terrorism Vladimir Voronkov
- Statement delivered by Maureen Basnicki, victim of terrorism from Canada
- Statement delivered by Sarah Tikolo, victim of terrorism from Kenya
- Statement delivered by Thelma Stober, victim of terrorism from the United Kingdom
International Day around the world
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime commemoration of the International Day