10 December 2003
COMMITTEE ON PALESTINE OF
THE NON-ALIGNED MOVEMENT
Establishment and Mandate
1. The VII NAM Summit in New Delhi in 1983 established the Committee on Palestine at the level of Heads of State of Government to cooperate with the seven member of the Arab Committee to support the right of the Arab Palestinian people in accordance with international law and the will of the Non-Aligned countries and their peoples.
2. The mandate given to the Committee by the VII Summit was to work with the various forces influential in the Middle East conflict for the achievement of a just, durable and comprehensive peace in the Middle East which will enable the Palestinian people to exercise their rights in freedom and sovereignty in their independent homeland.
3. Currently, the Committee is composed of the following twelve members:
3.7. Malaysia (Chair)
3.10. South Africa
4. It has also been the established practice of the Committee to invite, on an ad hoc basis, members of the NAM Security Council Caucus to its meeting. The current six members of the Caucus are as follows:
4.6. Syrian Arab Republic
Recent Meetings and Activities
5. During the Chairmanship of South Africa from September 1998 to February 2003, the Committee undertook the following activities:
5.1. Ministerial Meeting of the NAM Committee on Palestine, Kuala Lumpur, 23 February 2003 (preceding the XIII NAM Summit from 24-25 February 2003, to prepare and consider the draft Statement on Palestine for the Summit).
5.2. Visit of the Ministerial Delegation of the NAM Committee on Palestine to Ramallah on 2 June 2002.
5.3. Ministerial Meeting of the NAM Committee on Palestine, Durban, 27 April 2002 (preceding the Ministerial NAM-COB Meeting from 28-29 April 2002).
5.4. Joint Ministerial Meeting of the NAM Committee on Palestine and the NAM Security Council Caucus, Durban, 3 May 2001
6. During the Chairmanship of Malaysia since February 2003, the Committee undertook the following activities:
6.1. Registering formal support for the request of the Group of Arab States for the convening of the resumed Tenth Emergency Special Session of the General Assembly on 8 December 2003, 20 October 2003 and 19 September 2003.
6.2. Breakfast Meeting of the NAM Ministerial Committee on Palestine, New York, 26 September 2003 (preceding the annual Meeting of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of NAM, New York, 26 September 2003, to prepare and consider the draft Statement on Palestine for adoption of the latter Meeting).
6.3. Since April 2003, a series of meetings and informal consultations at the Ambassadorial level in New York under the Chairmanship of Malaysia, to discuss and formulate position and response of NAM on issues relating to the Question of Palestine.
6.4. Since April 2003, a series of informal consultations between Members of the Committee at the Ambassadorial level in New York with Members of the Quartet on Middle East Peace Process, namely the Permanent Representatives of Greece and Italy (Presidency of the European Union), the Russian Federation and the United States, as well as with the Secretary-General of the United Nations.
Permanent Mission of Malaysia to
the United Nations, New York
10 December 2003
Document Type: Information note
Document Sources: Non-Aligned Movement (NAM)(See also - Committee on Palestine)
Subject: Palestine question
Publication Date: 10/12/2003