The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 3236 (XXIX)[Link] of 22 November 1974,
Taking note of the report of the Secretary-General on the implementation of that resolution,1/
Deeply concerned that no just solution to the problem of Palestine has yet been achieved,
Recognizing that the problem of Palestine continues to endanger international peace and security,
1. Reaffirms its resolution 3236 (XXIX);
2. Expresses its grave concern that no progress has been achieved towards:
(a) The exercise by the Palestinian people of its inalienable rights in Palestine, including the right to self-determination without external interference and the right to national independence and sovereignty;
(b) The exercise by Palestinians of their inalienable right to return to their homes and property from which they have been displaced and uprooted;
3. Decides to establish a Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People composed of twenty member States to be appointed by the General Assembly at the current session;
4. Requests the Committee to consider and recommend to the General Assembly a programme of implementation[Link], designed to enable the Palestinian people to exercise the rights recognized in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Assembly resolution 3236 (XXIX), and to take into account, in the formulation of its recommendations for the implementation of that programme, all the powers conferred by the Charter upon the principal organs of the United Nations;
5. Authorizes the Committee, in the fulfilment of its mandate, to establish contact with, and to receive and consider suggestions and proposals from, any State and intergovernmental regional organization and the Palestine Liberation Organization;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to provide the Committee with all the necessary facilities for the performance of its tasks;
7. Requests the Committee to submit its report and recommendations[Link] to the Secretary-General no later than 1 June 1976 and requests the Secretary-General to transmit the report to the Security Council;
8. Requests the Security Council to consider, as soon as possible after 1 June 1976, the question of the exercise by the Palestinian people of the inalienable rights recognized in paragraphs 1 and 2 of resolution 3236 (XXIX);
9. Requests the Secretary-General to inform the Committee of the action taken by the Security Council in accordance with paragraph 8 above;
10. Authorizes the Committee, taking into consideration the action taken by the Security Council, to submit to the General Assembly, at its thirty-first session, a report containing its observations and recommendations;
11. Decides to include the item entitled "Question of Palestine" in the provisional agenda of its thirty-first session.
In favour: Czechoslovakia, Dahomey, Democratic Yemen, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Gambia, German Democratic Republic, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libyan Arab Republic, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, Somalia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Cameroon, United Republic of Tanzania, Upper Volta, Venezuela, Yemen, Yugoslavia, Zaire, Zambia, Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Argentina, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Botswana, Bulgaria, Burma, Burundi, Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Chad, China, Congo, Cuba, Cyprus.
Against: Denmark, El Salvador, Fiji, Germany (Federal Republic of), Haiti, Honduras, Iceland, Israel, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Norway, Swaziland, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica.
Abstaining: Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gabon, Guatemala, Ireland, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, New Zealand, Paraguay, Portugal, Sierra Leone, Sweden, Uruguay, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia.
Document Type: Resolution
Document Sources: Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People (CEIRPP), General Assembly
Subject: Agenda Item, Inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, Palestine question, Peace proposals and efforts, Self-determination, Statehood-related
Publication Date: 10/11/1975