When I visited Rwanda in my previous role as UN High Commissioner for Refugees, I witnessed the unbreakable spirit of the Rwandan people, their yearning for peace and their commitment to rebuilding their country. They have shown that reconciliation is possible, even after a tragedy of such monumental proportions.
2018 Commemorations — 24th Anniversary
International Day of Reflection on the 1994 Genocide Against the Tutsi in Rwanda
Tuesday, 10 April 2018
Events — Geneva
Palais des Nations, Geneva.
Around the world
Commemorative and educational activities were organized by UN information centres around the world. Planned activities included:
- Antananarivo: a commemorative ceremony and student briefing , including screenings of video testimonies of survivors
- Brazzaville: a mobile exhibition for high school students
- Dakar: lectures and exhibits for university students in collaboration with the Embassy of Rwanda
- Dar es Salaam: a commemorative ceremony and lecture in collaboration with the Rwandan Ambassador
- Lusaka: educational briefings for students from four schools to highlight lessons learned from Rwanda
- Nairobi: commemorative ceremony and exhibit with the Rwandan Embassy
- Pretoria: a screening of the documentary film "The Uncondemned" to highlight how rape was declared an act of genocide before an international court
- Yerevan: a student conference by various universities and ministries later in the year to focus on genocide prevention and the responsibility to protect.