The Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea of the Office of Legal Affairs of the United Nations, is now accepting applications for the 2023 session of the United Nations - The Nippon Foundation Fellowship Programme. The Fellowship looks to provide funded opportunities for advance training in ocean affairs and the law of the sea to mid-level Government officials and other mid-level professionals from developing States, through a 3-month training phase at the United Nations Headquarters in New York followed by a six-month research and study phase with a host institution.
- Be between the ages of 25 and 40
- Possess at least a first university degree or equivalent
- Demonstrate an ability to undertake advanced academic research and studies
- Be from a developing State
- Be a mid-level government official or mid-level professional dealing directly with ocean affairs and/or the law of the sea such as, but not limited to, the implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, including the establishment of maritime zones and the delimitation of maritime boundaries, sustainable development of oceans and seas, including the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, national and/or regional ocean policy, coastal zone management, conservation and management of marine living resources, maritime transport and shipping, maritime security, and the protection and preservation of the marine environment, including marine science.
- The proposed research and study programme must contribute directly to your nation's formulation and/or implementation of ocean affairs and law of the sea policies and programmes
- The Personal History and Proposed Research/Study Programme Form
- This form consists of contact information, educational and employment history and research interests
- The Nomination and Recommendation Form
- This form will be filled out by a government or professional agency and describes how the information learned through the fellowship will be used to advance ocean affairs globally.
Deadlines for application: 14 September 2022