7-8 November 2019 in Budapest, Republic of Hungary
Prevention of Radicalization to Terrorism: Regional Policy Responses and Risk Mitigation
The Regional Conference on “Prevention of Radicalization to Terrorism: Regional Policy Responses and Risk Mitigation”, co-organized by the Government of Hungary and the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), will take place on 7-8 November 2019 in Budapest, Hungary.
The Conference will serve as an opportunity to examine strategies in countering violent extremist narratives that could incite terrorist acts, and address the conditions conducive to the spread of violent extremism. It will bring together around 145 participants including Member States from the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe and China, international and regional organizations, UN agencies, NGOs and civil society to share practical experiences and best practices on key thematic areas.
The three main themes of the conference are:
- Addressing terrorist narratives through preventive strategies
- Assessing and mitigating the risks posed by returning foreign terrorist fighters
- Engaging youth in preventing and countering violent extremism conducive to terrorism
This Conference is the fifth in a series of regional conferences that follow-up on the first United Nations High-Level Conference for Heads of Counter-Terrorism Agencies of Member States held in New York in June 2018, which was convened by Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to strengthen international cooperation to combat the evolving threat of terrorism. UNOCT is partnering with Member States in different regions to co-organize these conferences which aim to strengthen regional cooperation on common priorities to counter terrorism and prevent violent extremism conducive to terrorism.
- Keynote Address by UNOCT Under-Secretary-General Mr. Vladimir Voronkov
- Press release opening conference and signing of a Host Country Agreement establishing in Budapest a UNOCT Regional Programme Support Office
- Press release closing
- Co-chairs Summary