3-4 September, Minsk, Belarus
Countering Terrorism Through Innovative Approaches and the Use of New and Emerging Technologies
The International High-level Conference on Counter-Terrorism “Countering terrorism through innovative approaches and the use of new and emerging technologies” co-organized by the Republic of Belarus and the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), takes place 3-4 September 2019 in Minsk, Belarus.
The conference is an opportunity to take stock of the fast-evolving threat from terrorist misuse of new and emerging technologies and identify innovative approaches to address these challenges. It will bring together Member States, the private sector, NGOs and civil society, in seeking to address today’s most pressing issues pertaining to technology and counter-terrorism, including online radicalization, artificial intelligence, hacking, lethal autonomous weapons and the cross-border travel of foreign terrorist fighters.
The three main themes are:
- The Nature of Threat: Misuse of New Technologies and Artificial Intelligence by Terrorists
- Innovative Use of New Technologies to Strengthen Detection Capacity
- Development of National, Regional and International Approaches and Strategies to Address the Misuse of New Technologies and Artificial Intelligence by Terrorists
This conference is the fourth in a series of regional conferences that follow-up on the first United Nations High-Level Conference for Heads of Counter-Terrorism Agencies of Member States held in New York in June 2018. These conferences are taking place around the world, at the initiative of Member States, to strengthen regional cooperation on common counter-terrorism and preventing violent extremism priorities.
Co-chairs Summery and more
- Co-chairs Summary of the International High-level Conference on Countering Terrorism through Innovative Approaches and the Use of New and Emerging Technologies - Delivered by Mr. Vladimir Voronkov, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism, Minsk, 4 September.
- Statement by Mr. Voronkov at the High-level Conference on Counter-Terrorism and the Use of New and Emerging Technologies, Minsk, Belarus - Russian
- Press Release: High-level Conference on Countering Terrorism and the Use of New Technologies starts in Minsk
- Press release closing conference English - Russian
- Photo coverage by UN Information Centre in Belarus