THE SPECIAL ENVOY FOR DISENGAGEMENT
21 April 2006
Eleventh Report on the Implementation of the Agreement on Movement and Access
The Quartet Special Envoy's Office is submitting the eleventh bi-weekly report on the implementation of the 15 November Agreement on Movement and Access (AMA), covering the period 1 to 14 April 2006 inclusive. The Office of the Special Envoy will be closing on 28 April, and the United Nations will be reporting on the implementation of the AMA going forward.
• Rafah was open daily during the reporting period. On 11 April, the Presidential Guard took over security of the Rafah crossing point from the Preventative Security Forces. The transition was conducted smoothly and without incident.
• Karni was open only 5 days during the reporting period. On 4 April, Karni was closed as Israeli officials cited a security warning against the crossing. It was opened on 7 April to limited exports and imports, and on 12 and 14 April for imports only. The average number of export truckloads during the reporting period was 5.2 per day.
• Kerem Shalom was opened for the import of essential food commodities from Egypt on 23 March. In this reporting period, the crossing was open for 11 days, during which a total of 140 truckloads of flour, sugar, and rice were imported into Gaza. No goods have been exported through Kerem Shalom.
• Erez was closed to Palestinians on 12 March because of Purim and has remained closed. As such, no workers or traders crossed into Israel via Erez during the reporting period.
• The deadline for the introduction of truck convoys between Gaza and the West Bank passed on 15 January. Discussions of bus convoys have not yet resumed.
• According to OCHA, the number of obstacles to movement in the West Bank declined slightly from 505 to 496. OCHA compiles several times a year a comprehensive count of physical obstacles to Palestinian movement in the West Bank. The figures reported here are based on OCHA field observations only.
• The GoI has not provided the assurance to donors that it will not interfere with the operation of the seaport.
• There have been no discussions on the airport during the reporting period.
Document Type: AMA implementation report (See also - Entity listing: Quartet Special Envoy), Implementation report, Press Release, Report
Document Sources: Quartet, Quartet Special Envoy (QSE)
Subject: Access and movement, Closures/Curfews/Blockades, Economic issues, Gaza Strip, Security issues, Settlements, Statehood-related
Publication Date: 14/04/2005