CREDENTIALS OF REPRESENTATIVES TO THE FORTY-FOURTH SESSION
OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Letter dated 13 October 1989 from the Permanent Representative
of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya to the United Nations addressed
to the Secretary-General
In my capacity as Chairman of the Arab Group for the month October 1989, I have the honour to transmit to you herewith a letter from the members of the Arab Group objecting to the credentials of the delegation of Israel to the forty-fourth session of the General Assembly.
I request you to have this letter and its annex circulated as a document of the General Assembly under agenda item 3 (b).
(Signed) Ali TREIKI
We, the undersigned, have the honor to call your attention to the fact that we object to the credentials of the delegation of Israel to the forty-fourth session of the General Assembly of the United Nations for the following reasons:
1. Israel's failure to comply with Security Council resolutions on Lebanon and on the question of Palestine and the situation in the Middle East and related matters, thereby violating Article 25 of the Charter.
2. Israel's failure to implement the resolutions of the General Assembly on the question of Palestine and the situation in the Middle East, which call for the exercise by the Palestinian people of its inalienable rights to self-determination, including the right of return, the right to self-determination and the right to establish their own independent State in Palestine, and which further urge the need for an end to Israeli occupation of Arab territories in accordance with the principle of the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by force and thus the need to ensure Israel's withdrawal from all the territories occupied since 1967, including Jerusalem and the Syrian Arab Golan.
3. Israel's failure to implement the resolutions adopted by the General Assembly on other aspects of the two items on the question of Palestine and the situation in the Middle East.
4. Israel's violation of human rights in the occupied Palestinian territory and other occupied Arab territories, including Jerusalem, and, in particular, its violation of the provisions of the fourth Geneva Convention of 12 August 1949. We make particular reference to the escalating Israeli repression of the Palestinian Arab people in the occupied Palestinian territory and of the inhabitants of the other occupied Arab territories, which includes the expulsion of Arab citizens from those territories since the beginning of the uprising against Israeli occupation.
5. Israel's continued annexation of Palestinian territory and of other Arab territories, including Jerusalem and the Syrian Arab Golan, in violation of the provisions of the Charter of the United Nations and the principles of international law.
6. Israel's continued aggression against the Arab States and the extension of its aggression to Lebanon, Iraq and Tunisia.
7. Israel's continuing co-operation with the racist régime in South Africa, particularly in the nuclear and economic fields.
8. The fact that the credentials of the Israeli delegation to the forty-fourth session of the General Assembly were issued in the occupied city of Jerusalem in violation of Security Council resolutions, in particular resolution 478 (1980), and the relevant General Assembly resolutions, particularly resolution 35/169 E of 15 December 1980.
We request you to have this letter circulated as a document of the General Assembly.
Signed by the following:
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
Syrian Arab Republic
United Arab Emirates
Palestine Liberation Organization