The need for timely and disaggregated data and statistics for decision-making has never been as clear as during the COVID-19 crisis. Having access to reliable and trusted data can mean the difference between life and death. To help national governments build resilient and sustainable national data and information systems, a new Global Network of Data Officers and Statisticians that connects data experts around the world, has been launched today at the UN World Data Forum.
Data are essential for designing short-term response interventions and long-term accelerated action to put countries back on track to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). However, basic health, social and economic data are often absent, particularly in many developing countries. The national statistical systems are also facing a capacity squeeze during the crisis.
The Global Network of Data Officers and Statisticians, launched by UN DESA’s Statistics Division, aims to remedy this situation by supporting national governments as they establish national data and information systems for the full implementation of the SDGs through collaboration, coordination, knowledge-sharing, networking, and technical support.
What can you expect of this Global Network, and how can you take advantage of it?
The Network brings together statisticians, data experts and scientists, geospatial information experts，and data management and results reporting officers and economists in UN country teams from around the world. It is built on the Yammer platform with many advantages:
- Increase collaboration among national statistical offices and systems, UN Resident Coordinator Offices, and regional and international organizations.
- Share knowledge and best practices on the production and dissemination of data and official statistics for SDG implementation and monitoring.
- Build new partnerships and foster synergies in data development to support the production and dissemination of data and official statistics for SDG implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Get support from a pool of experts on different topics and from different statistical domains, related to data and statistics for SDG implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Connect with colleagues anywhere and anytime through the web browser and the easy-to-use mobile application for Android and iOS.
- Share, comment and celebrate the launch of yours or others’ new tool, data solution, report or event.
How can I join the Global Network of Data Officers and Statisticians?
You can register and start to connect with data experts around the world here: https://www.yammer.com/unstats
Photo by Scott Graham on Unsplash