Plastic waste is choking our seas and coasts, threatening ecosystems, livelihoods and lives in South-East Asia. Due to Covid-19, we are now fighting a plastic pandemic of new waste created from ‘new norms’ of plastic consumption, such as the use of single-use plastics including personal protective equipment.
We hope to spark a movement led by South-East Asian sustainability advocates to combat the triple threat of climate change, biodiversity loss, and pollution that the region is facing. ‘100 Days to #BeatPlasticPollution’ will mobilise digitally connected youth to adopt habits that will help turn the tide on the plastic pandemic.
100 Days to #BeatPlasticPollution is an initiative by the SEA circular project to create region-wide awareness on plastic pollution and public support for policies to change plastic value chain management towards less plastics wasted.
Mobilising each individual to take simple everyday actions is key to harnessing the power of collective behavioural change.
From 1 September 2021, join the movement for ‘100 Days to BeatPlasticPollution’. Choose one simple habit that can be sustained for 100 days, and kept for life, to #BeatPlasticPollution.
What can you do?
Join the movement by sharing your new habit or your positive action for the planet with your network with these five simple steps.
- Go to @unep's Instagram account and find the effects tab
- Choose from ‘Say No To Single-Use’, ‘Clean Our Oceans’, ‘Drowning In Plastic’ or ‘Meet The Reusables’ to play with the AR experiences using your smartphone
- Take a photo or video and share it on your Instagram Story
- Tag 3 friends to join the movement to #BeatPlasticPollution
- You can tag @unep and @meshminds for a chance to get featured!
Hot Tip: Search “beatplasticpollution” for stickers to add to your pledge.