UN High-Level Advisory Board on Economic and Social Affairs meets to deepen discussions on global development challenges
The UN High-Level Advisory Board (HLAB) on Economic and Social Affairs – a group of former Heads of State, Senior Government officials, Nobel Laureate and other eminent experts on economic and social policies – will meet for its third meeting at the UN headquarters in New York on 11-12 March 2019.
Following its second meeting held in Shenzhen, China in October 2018, the Board will continue to review key development trends, challenges and risks shaping sustainable development. The discussions will focus on inclusive, stable and sustainable growth; rapid technological change and inequality; uncertainty associated with conflicts, climate change and disasters; and establishment of a new multilateral order for sustainable development. The meeting is expected to analyze inter-linkages, externalities and trade-offs that drive sustainable development outcomes.
Under the guidance of the Secretary-General, the HLAB is convened by Mr. Liu Zhenmin, Under-Secretary-General of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), to deepen the Department’s understanding of critical development challenges and strengthen its thought leadership for fostering sustainable development.
In addition to the HLAB members, Ms. Alicia Barcena (Executive Secretary, United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean), Ms. Lynn St. Amour (President & CEO of Internet-Matters, Chair of Internet Governance Forum Multistakeholder Advisory Group), and Prof. Changwen Zhao (Director General, Development Research Center of China’s State Council) will also attend the meeting.
Members of the High-Level Advisory Board
Following Members of the Board have been appointed for a two-year term:
- Giancarlo Corsetti, Professor of Macroeconomics at University of Cambridge
- Cristina Duarte, former Minister of Finance, Planning and Public Administration (2006-2016), Cape Verde
- Marcel Fratzscher, President of DIW Berlin
- Anastasia J. Gage, Professor at the Department of Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University
- Jayati Ghosh, Professor of Economics at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Merit E. Janow, Dean, School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University
- Ricardo Lagos, Honorary Chairman of the Interamerican Dialogue; former President of Chile (2000-2006)
- Justin Yifu Lin, Dean, Institute of New Structural Economics, Professor and Honorary Dean of National School of Development at Peking University
- José Antonio Ocampo, Member of the Board of Banco de la República (central bank), Colombia and Professor, Columbia University
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, University Professor, Columbia University
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, University Professor, Columbia University
- Heizo Takenaka, Professor Emeritus, Keio University and Professor, Toyo University
- Izabella Mônica Vieira Teixeira, former Minister of Environment (2010-2016), Brazil
- Kori Udovički, Head of Center for Advanced Economic Studies (CEVES)
- Ernesto Zedillo, Director of the Yale Center for the Study of Globalization; former President of Mexico (1994-2000)
- Min Zhu, Chairman, National Institute of Financial Research, Tsinghua university
- Elliot Harris, DESA ASG for Economic Development and UN Chief Economist (Ex Officio member)