HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NOON BRIEFING
BY EDUARDO DEL BUEY, DEPUTY SPOKESPERSON FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL BAN KI-MOON
TUESDAY, 13 AUGUST 2013
SECRETARY-GENERAL TO TRAVEL TO THE MIDDLE EAST
- The Secretary-General will travel to the Middle East later this week.
- In Jordan, he is scheduled to meet with King Abdullah II as well as the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- The Secretary-General will then go to Ramallah, where he will meet with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah. While in Ramallah, he will also visit the gravesite of President Yasser Arafat.
- The Secretary-General will then travel to Jerusalem, where he will hold meetings with several officials, including Israeli President Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. He will also visit the memorial and grave of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin at Mount Herzl.
- During his visit, the Secretary-General will also be meeting the lead Israeli and Palestinian negotiators, as well as the United States Special Envoy for the Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, Martin Indyk.
- Asked about the Secretary-General’s specific message to the leaders of the region, the Spokesperson said it would be a message of support for the Middle East peace talks.
- He added that the Secretary-General is involved in the Middle East peace process as one of the principal members of the Quartet.