COMMITTEE AGAINST TORTURE
SUMMARY RECORD OF THE FIRST PART (PUBLIC)* OF THE 503rd MEETING
Held at the Palais Wilson, Geneva,
on Monday, 29 April 2002, at 10 a.m.
Temporary Chairman: Ms. IZE-CHARRIN
(Representative of the Secretary-General)
Chairman: Mr. BURNS
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
The meeting was called to order at 10.05 a.m.
ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA (item 4 of the provisional agenda) (CAT/C/68)
15. Mr. EL MASRY said he would like to be sure that, within the framework of its programme of work, the Committee would have the opportunity to consider the situation in the Arab territories occupied by Israel, since certain events in recent weeks were certainly covered by the provisions of the Convention. He would therefore like the Committee to include in its agenda an item on the “Situation in the occupied territories”.
16. Mr. MAVROMMATIS said that the events in question were indeed sufficiently serious to justify the Committee’s concerning itself with them, since certain rights guaranteed under the Convention were undoubtedly affected. He suggested that the Committee should consider the matter during the last week of the session, when the report of the fact-finding team established by the Security Council would be available.
17. Ms. IZE-CHARRIN (Representative of the Secretary-General) said that the members of the Committee would also have before them the report of the High Commissioner for Human Rights on the situation in the occupied Palestinian territory submitted pursuant to decision 2002/103 of the Commission on Human Rights (E/CN.4/2002/184).
18. The proposal by Mr. El Masry was adopted.
19. The provisional agenda (CAT/C/68) was adopted.
The public part of the meeting rose at 11 a.m.