6 May 1988
Algeria, Argentina, Nepal, Senegal, Yugoslavia and Zambia:
The Security Council,
Reaffirming its resolutions 425 (1978), 426 (1978), 508 (1982) and 509 (1982), as well as all its resolutions on the situation in southern Lebanon,
Having heard the statement of the Permanent Representative of Lebanon to the United Nations,
Noting with grave concern the deterioration of the situation in southern Lebanon as a result of the recent invasion by Israeli forces,
Deeply concerned by the occupation of Lebanese territory by Israeli forces,
Deeply concerned also by the recent action of those forces causing heavy casualties, displacement of civilian population, the destruction of houses and property, and in particular the devastation of the entire village of Meidoun,
1. Condemns the recent invasion by Israeli forces of southern Lebanon;
2. Repeats its call for the immediate withdrawal of all Israeli forces from Lebanese territory and calls for the cessation of all acts that violate the sovereignty of Lebanon and the security of its civilian populations;
3. Reaffirms its calls for strict respect for the sovereignty of Lebanon, its independence, unity and territorial integrity within its internationally recognized boundaries;
4. Reaffirms the urgent need to restore international peace and security through the implementation of the provisions of the Security Council resolutions on Lebanon, in particular resolutions 425 (1978) and 426 (1978), and resolution 509 (1982) which in particular demands that Israel withdraw all its military forces forthwith and unconditionally to the internationally recognized boundaries;
5. Requests the Secretary-General to continue consultations with the Government of Lebanon and other parties directly concerned in the implementation of resolutions 425 (1978), 426 (1978), 508 (1982) and 509 (1982), and to report thereon to the Security Council;
6. Decides to keep the situation in southern Lebanon under review.
The Security Council on 10 May 1988 voted on the draft resolution as follows:
In Favour: Algeria, Argentina, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Federal Republic of, Italy, Japan, Nepal, Senegal, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Yugoslavia, Zambia.
Against: United States of America.