CREDENTIALS OF REPRESENTATIVES TO THE FORTY-SECOND SESSION
OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Letter dated 7 October 1987 from the Permanent Representative
of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya to the United Nations addressed
to the Secretary-General
In my capacity as Chairman of the Arab Group for October 1987, and on behalf of the members of the Arab Group, I enclose herewith a letter of protest from the members of the Group against the credentials of the delegation of Israel to the forty-second session of the General Assembly.
I should be grateful if you would have the letter distributed as an official document of the General Assembly under agenda item 3.
(Signed) Ali TREIKI
Permanent Representative of the Socialist People's Libyan Arab
Jamahiriya to the
Chairman of the Arab Group
Letter addressed to the President of the forty-second session
of the General Assembly concerning a protest against the credentials
of the delegation of Israel to the General Assembly
We, the undersigned, have the honor to draw your attention to our protest against the credentials of the delegation of Israel to the forty-second session of the United Nations General Assembly, on the following grounds:
1. The failure of Israel to comply with Security Council resolutions on the question of Palestine and the situation in the Middle East and related items, thereby violating Article 25 of the Charter of the United Nations;
2. The failure of Israel to implement General Assembly resolutions on the question of Palestine and the situation in the Middle East which demand that the Palestinian people be permitted to exercise their inalienable rights, including the right to return, the right to self-determination and the right to establish their own independent State in Palestine, and which emphasize the need for an end to the Israeli occupation of the Arab territories, in accordance with the principle of the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by force, including the need to ensure Israel's withdrawal from all the territories occupied since 1967, including Jerusalem and the Syrian Arab Golan Heights.
3. The failure of Israel to implement General Assembly resolutions adopted on other agenda items relating to the two items on Palestine and the situation in the Middle East;
4. Violation by Israel of human rights in the Palestinian and other occupied Arab territories and, specifically, violation of the provisions of the fourth Geneva Convention, of 12 August 1949;
5. Israel's continued annexation of Palestinian and other Arab territories, including Jerusalem and the Syrian Arab Golan Heights, thereby violating the provisions of the Charter of the United Nations and the rules of international law;
6. Israel's continued aggression against the Arab States and the extension of the area of its aggression to the whole of Lebanon, Iraq and Tunisia;
7. Israel's continued co-operation with the racist régime in southern Africa, specifically in the nuclear and economic fields;
8. The issuance of the credentials of the Israeli delegation to the forty-second session of the General Assembly from the occupied City of Jerusalem, in breach of Security Council resolutions, specifically resolution 478 (1980), and related General Assembly resolutions, in particular resolution 35/169 E of 15 December 1980.
We request you to have this letter distributed as a document of the General Assembly.
Signed by the following:
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
Syrian Arab Republic
United Arab Emirates
Palestine Liberation Organization