Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 6 December 2016
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolutions 194 (III) of 11 December 1948 and 36/146 C of 16 December 1981 and all its subsequent resolutions on the question,
Taking note of the report of the Secretary-General submitted pursuant to its resolution 70/86 of 9 December 2015,1 as well as that of the United Nations Conciliation Commission for Palestine for the period from 1 September 2015 to 31 August 2016,2
Recalling that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights3 and the principles of international law uphold the principle that no one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his or her property,
Recalling in particular its resolution 394 (V) of 14 December 1950, in which it directed the Conciliation Commission, in consultation with the parties concerned, to prescribe measures for the protection of the rights, property and interests of the Palestine refugees,
Noting the completion of the programme of identification and evaluation of Arab property, as announced by the Conciliation Commission in its twenty-second progress report,4 and the fact that the Land Office had a schedule of Arab owners and a file of documents defining the location, area and other particulars of Arab property,
Expressing its appreciation for the preservation and modernization of the existing records, including the land records, of the Conciliation Commission, and stressing the importance of such records for a just resolution of the plight of the Palestine refugees in conformity with resolution 194 (III),
Recalling that, in the framework of the Middle East peace process, the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Government of Israel agreed, in the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements of 13 September 1993,5 to commence negotiations on permanent status issues, including the important issue of the refugees,
1. Reaffirms that the Palestine refugees are entitled to their property and to the income derived therefrom, in conformity with the principles of equity and justice;
2. Requests the Secretary-General to take all appropriate steps, in consultation with the United Nations Conciliation Commission for Palestine, for the protection of Arab property, assets and property rights in Israel;
3. Calls once again upon Israel to render all facilities and assistance to the Secretary-General in the implementation of the present resolution;
4. Calls upon all the parties concerned to provide the Secretary-General with any pertinent information in their possession concerning Arab property, assets and property rights in Israel that would assist him in the implementation of the present resolution;
5. Urges the Palestinian and Israeli sides, as agreed between them, to deal with the important issue of Palestine refugees’ properties and their revenues within the framework of the final status peace negotiations;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its seventy-second session on the implementation of the present resolution.
53rd plenary meeting
6 December 2016
3 Resolution 217 A (III).
4 Official Records of the General Assembly, Nineteenth Session, Annexes, Annex No. 11, document A/5700.
5 A/48/486-S/26560, annex.
Document Type: General Assembly resolution, Resolution
Document Sources: General Assembly, General Assembly Fourth Committee (Special Political and Decolonization), Special Political and Decolonization Committee (Fourth Committee), United Nations Conciliation Commission for Palestine (UNCCP), United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)
Subject: Absentee property, Agenda Item, Land, Refugees and displaced persons, Right of return
Publication Date: 06/12/2016