11 March 1985
Lebanon: draft resolution
The Security Council,
Reaffirming Security Council resolutions 425 (1978), 426 (1978), 501 (1982), 508 (1982), 509 (1982), 512 (1982 and 520 (1982), as well as all its resolutions on the situation in Lebanon,
Having heard the statement of the representative of Lebanon, and noting with great concern the deterioration of the situation in the areas occupied by Israel in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district as a result of the Israeli practices,
Recalling the relevant provisions of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and stressing the humanitarian principles of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 12 August 1949 and the obligations arising from the regulations annexed tothe Hague Convention of 1907,
1. Condemns the Israeli practices and measures against the civilian population in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district which are in violation of the rules and principles of international law, in particular the provisions of the Geneva Convention of 12 August 1949;
2. Reaffirms the urgent need to implement the provisions of the Security Council resolutions on Lebanon, and in particular resolutions 425 (1978), 508 (1982), and 509 (1982), which demand that Israel withdraw all its military forces forthwith and unconditionally recognized boundaries of Lebanon;
3. Reiterates its call for strict respect for the sovereignty, independence, unity and territorial integrity of Lebanon within its internationally recognized boundaries;
4. Affirms that the provisions of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 apply to the territories occupied by Israel in southern Lebanon, the Western Bekaa and the Rashaya district and that the occupying Power is duty bound to respect and uphold the provisions of the said Convention and of other norms of international law;
5. Demands that the Government of Israel, the occupying Power, desist forthwith for its practices against the civilian populations in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district and immediately lift all restrictions and obstacles to the restoration of normal conditions in the areas under its occupation in violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 and other norms of international law;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to establish a fact-finding mission to report to the Council on these Israeli practices and measures in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district;
7. Requests the Secretary-General to keep the situation under review, to consult with the Government of Lebanon and to report to the Council on the implementation of and compliance with this resolution as soon as possible.
The Security Council on 12 March 1985 voted on the draft resolution as follows:
In favour: Bukina Faso, China, Egypt, France, India, Madagascar, Peru, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
Against: United States of America.
Abstained: Australia, Denmark, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.