The Chief of Staff of UNTSO has submitted the following report on developments in the Israel-Lebanon sector during the period 20 to 26 January 1975.
1. Activity in the sector decreased markedly compared with the previous period. Both ground and air activity remained at a low level during the period under review.
2. Israel forces personnel continued to occupy daily, during daylight hours, four positions on the Lebanese side of the armistice demarcation line (ADL) near border pillars 11, 18, 19, and 33.
3. There were two cases of firing across the ADL and two crossing violations. These were reported as follows:
(a) OP Lab, south of the village of Labbouna, reported machine-gun fire and flares by Israel forces on 20 January.
(b) OP Hin, east of the village of Marouahine, reported one crossing violation by an Israel forces vehicle on 20 January (maximum penetration 100 metres).
(c) OP Khiam, south of the village of El Khiam, reported mortar fire by Israel forces on 20 January and one crossing violation by Israel forces personnel on
21 January (maximum penetration 150 metres).
4. There were four overflights reported during the period. Overflights by Israel forces jet aircraft were reported on 20 January (two overflights) and on 22 and 25 January (one each day).
5. The Lebanese authorities submitted 20 complaints during the period under review as follows:
(a) Four complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces fire had fallen on Lebanese territory. Two of these complaints were confirmed by United Nations observation, except for damage.
(b) Three complaints concerned Israel forces jet aircraft overflights. Two of these complaints were confirmed.
(c) Two complaints concerned Israel forces helicopter overflights. The complaints were not confirmed.
(d) Two complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces naval vessels had penetrated Lebanese territorial waters on 20 January. The complaints were not confirmed owing to darkness.
(e) Two complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces patrols had penetrated Lebanese territory on 24 and 26 January. The complaints were not confirmed.
(f) Seven complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces patrols had daily penetrated Lebanese territory in the region of Chebaa and Rmaich. Penetration in the Rmaich area was confirmed for all of the complaints. Penetration in the Chebaa area was not confirmed, as the location of the alleged incidents was outside United Nations observation range.