Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 6 December 2016
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolutions 2252 (ES-V) of 4 July 1967, 2341 B (XXII) of 19 December 1967 and all subsequent related resolutions,
Taking note of the report of the Secretary-General submitted in pursuance of its resolution 70/84 of 9 December 2015,1
Taking note also of the report of the Commissioner-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East covering the period from 1 January to 31 December 2015,2
Concerned about the continuing human suffering resulting from the June 1967 and subsequent hostilities,
Taking note of the relevant provisions of the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements of 13 September 19933 with regard to the modalities for the admission of persons displaced in 1967, and concerned that the process agreed upon has not yet been effected,
Taking note also of its resolution 67/19 of 29 November 2012,
1. Reaffirms the right of all persons displaced as a result of the June 1967 and subsequent hostilities to return to their homes or former places of residence in the territories occupied by Israel since 1967;
2. Stresses the necessity for an accelerated return of displaced persons, and calls for compliance with the mechanism agreed upon by the parties in article XII of the Declaration of Principles on Interim Self-Government Arrangements of 13 September 19933 on the return of displaced persons;
3. Endorses, in the meantime, the efforts of the Commissioner-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East to continue to provide humanitarian assistance, as far as practicable, on an emergency basis, and as a temporary measure, to persons in the area who are currently displaced and in serious need of continued assistance as a result of the June 1967 and subsequent hostilities;
4. Strongly appeals to all Governments and to organizations and individuals to contribute generously to the Agency and to the other intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations concerned for the above-mentioned purposes;
5. Requests the Secretary-General, after consulting with the Commissioner-General, to report to the General Assembly before its seventy-second session on the progress made with regard to the implementation of the present resolution.
53rd plenary meeting
6 December 2016
2 Official Records of the General Assembly, Seventy-first Session, Supplement No. 13 (A/71/13).
3 A/48/486-S/26560, annex.
Document Type: General Assembly resolution, Resolution
Document Sources: Fourth Committee (Special Political and Decolonization), General Assembly, Special Political and Decolonization Committee (Fourth Committee), United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)
Subject: Agenda Item, Assistance, Internally displaced persons, Refugees and displaced persons, Right of return
Publication Date: 06/12/2016