As delivered Remarks by Peter Thomson, President of the UN General Assembly at BBNJ negotiations 21 July 2017 Thank you Ambassador, Excellencies, ladies and gentlemen, I thank you for the opportunity to address you. I wanted to be here to acknowledge the great efforts of the Chair of the Preparatory Committee, H.E. […]
Tag Archives | oceans
Visit of the President of the General Assembly to Rome New York, 4 July 2017 – The President of the United Nations General Assembly, H.E. Mr. Peter Thomson, visited Rome today. President Thomson addressed the opening session of the international conference “Oceans, caring for a common heritage” at the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross […]
As delivered Intervention by Peter Thomson, the President of the UN General Assembly, at the 18th meeting of the UN Open-ended Informal Consultative Process on Oceans and the Law of the Sea 15 May 2017 Your Excellencies, the Co-Chairs. All courtesies observed. I’m very happy to be here today to address the eighteenth meeting […]
MEDIA ADVISORY 13 February 2017 Preparations for The Ocean Conference get underway in New York, 15-16 February 2017 UNITED NATIONS, New York, 13 February 2017 – With concern mounting that the state of the world’s ocean is rapidly deteriorating, United Nations Member States and civil society groups will gather for a two-day preparatory meeting this […]
- To inform about the most essential priority challenges in need of action to ensure protection and sustainable use of oceans, seas and related ecosystems, such as those reflected in SDG 14: marine pollution, ecosystems, climate change and ocean acidification, fisheries, marine protected areas and sustainable livelihoods related to ocean activities;
- To give an overview of ongoing youth consultations on SDG 14 and discuss related key messages;
- To discuss and identify potential roles of youth in the international efforts in these subjects and discuss the way youth can contribute to these efforts;
- Serve as an input to the ongoing Oceans/SDG14 Conference Process, as well as the considerations of SDG 14 under the 2017 HLPF;
- A special focus will be to raise awareness of the marine litter issue and seek input from participants on the Global Campaign on Marine Litter.
As delivered Statement by H.E. Mr Peter Thomson, President of the 71st Session of the General Assembly, at Briefing on The Ocean Conference 13 December 2016 Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen Thank you for attending today’s briefing on preparations for The Ocean Conference. The Conference will be held at UN Headquarters from 5 to 9 […]
The President of the UN General Assembly will brief the Member States on the Oceans conference in June 2017.
MEDIA ADVISORY Briefing for Member States about The Ocean Conference in 2017 United Nations, New York, 9 December 2016 — The President of the United Nations General Assembly will convene a briefing for member states on the ongoing preparations for the United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14 to […]