Asia-Pacific Regional Review Meeting on the Implementation of the Istanbul Programme of Action
in Preparation for the Fifth United Nations Conference on the Least Developed Countries (UNLDC-5)
30 August - 2 September 2021
UNHQ, Geneva, Switzerland, and virtual via Webex
The Asia-Pacific Regional Review is important as 12 out of 46 Least Developed Countries (LDCs) are located in the region. They are making considerable progress in their socio-economic development, particularly in reducing income poverty and investing in human resources and infrastructure, enabling most of the countries of this region to fulfill the criteria for graduation.
In line with the mandate contained in GA resolutions 73/242 and 74/232, UN-OHRLLS and UNESCAP, jointly with the Government of Bangladesh, had planned to organize the Asia-Pacific Regional Review meeting in preparation for LDC5 from 30 August to 2 September 2021 at the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), TIC Ariana, Tempus 1, in Geneva.
The objective of the Asia-Pacific Regional Review is to undertake a comprehensive appraisal of the implementation of the Istanbul Programme of Action in Asia-Pacific LDCs, share best practices and lessons learned and identify obstacles and constraints encountered. The meeting will identify effective international and domestic policies in the light of the outcome of the appraisal as well as new and emerging challenges and opportunities and the means to address them. The meeting is further expected to put forward specific recommendations on strategies and policy measures at the national, regional and global levels to accelerate the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals by the Asia-Pacific LDCs.
The outcome is expected to be a ministerial declaration negotiated by the Asia-Pacific LDCs which will feature a strengthened and renewed partnership between the least developed countries and their development partners. This declaration will be submitted to member States at the seventy-seventh session of the Commission of the ESCAP in 2021. This will also serve as an important background document for the Inter-Governmental Preparatory Committee meetings for the LDC5 to be held in 2021 in New York.
- Session 2: "Supporting our climate, recovery from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and building a resilient society against future shocks"
- Session 3: "Supporting sustainable graduation: making graduation irreversible and a steppingstone to achieve the SDGs"
- Session 4: "Building trade capacity and effective market access for LDCs with enhanced regional integration for graduating and graduated countries"
- Session 5: "Structural transformation and resilient infrastructure for sustained economic growth, poverty alleviation and decent work for all"
- Session 6: "Social and human development and good governance at all levels"
- Session 7: "Road to Doha: an ambitious agenda for the next decade through reinvigorated and innovative financing for development of the Asia-Pacific LDCs"