Upcoming Events (in New York unless otherwise indicated)
- UN Security Council The situation in the Middle East (15 July)
- UN Security Council Threats to international peace and security (15 July)
- UN General Assembly Informal meeting of the plenary on: “Gender equality and women’s leadership for a sustainable world” (15 July)
- High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (9-18 July) (Provisional programme) (Side events)
- UN Security Council open debate on the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT) (17 July)
- The Regular Process for Global Reporting and Assessment of the State of the Marine Environment, including Socioeconomic Aspects, 12th meeting (29-30 July)
The United Nations observes designated days, weeks, years, and decades, each with a theme, or topic. By creating special observances, the United Nations promotes international awareness and action on these issues. The majority of observances have been established by resolutions of the United Nations General Assembly, although some have been designated by UN specialized agencies. The United Nations also observes anniversaries of key events in its history.