Statement by the Secretary-General on agreement between the P5+1 and the Islamic Republic of Iran
Addis Ababa, 14 July 2015
I warmly welcome the historic agreement in Vienna today and congratulate the P5+1 and Iran for reaching this agreement. This is testament to the value of dialogue.
I know that an immense amount of work went into this, and I admire the determination and the commitment of the negotiators – as well as the courage of the leaders who approved the deal that was so painstakingly worked out by their teams in Vienna and elsewhere.
I hope – and indeed believe – that this agreement will lead to greater mutual understanding and cooperation on the many serious security challenges in the Middle East. As such it could serve as a vital contribution to peace and stability both in the region and beyond.
The United Nations stands ready to fully cooperate with the parties in the process of implementing this historic and important agreement.
Statements on 14 July 2015
- New York, 14 July 2015 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on recent attacks in Afghanistan
- New York, 14 July 2015 - Secretary-General's video message on the launch of Arirang TV on United Nations In-House Network
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 14 July 2015 - Secretary-General's Remarks at Business Sector Steering Committee
- Addis Ababa, 14 July 2015 - Secretary-General’s remarks at launch of UNAIDS MDG6 Report in Ethiopia
- Addis Ababa, 14 July 2015 - Secretary-General’s remarks at UNIDO Forum on Financing for Inclusive and Sustainable Industrial Development
- Addis Ababa, 14 July 2015 - Secretary-General’s remarks at UNWomen-World Bank event on Financing for Gender Equality