Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on Darfur
New York, 2 July 2014
The Secretary-General is concerned about the recent serious allegations against the African Union-United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID). These allegations cover a wide range of issues, including inaccurate reporting of the facts on the ground in Darfur, specific instances of failure to protect civilians and accusations of mismanagement of UNAMID.
UNAMID has undergone several investigations and reviews over the last two years, which have sought to address both strategic issues and specific incidents related to the Mission's performance. The Secretary-General’s Special Report of 25 February 2014 provides an overview of the strategic and managerial challenges faced by the Mission and the work being done at United Nations Headquarters and in UNAMID to address them.
The Secretary-General remains committed to improving UNAMID's performance and is determined to take all necessary steps to correct any wrongdoing. He has instructed the Secretariat to review the reports of all investigations and inquiries undertaken since mid-2012 to ensure that their recommendations have been implemented and that any relevant issues have been fully addressed. This review, to be completed within one month, will enable the Secretary-General to determine what has already been done and, if recommendations are outstanding, what corrective action needs to be taken.
Statements on 2 July 2014
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at United Nations Global Compact High-Level Lunch [as prepared for delivery]
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at panel on "Best Practices and Challenges in Implementing a Moratorium on the Death Penalty"
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the murder of a Palestinian teenager in Jerusalem
- New York, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's remarks at United Nations Global Compact Board Meeting [as prepared for delivery]
- Maastricht, The Netherlands, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's message to joint high-level segment of the meetings of the parties to the Convention on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-Making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters and its Protocol on Pollutant Release and Transfer Registers
- Seoul, Republic of Korea, 2 July 2014 - Secretary-General's video message to the National Model United Nations of the Republic of Korea, 2-5 July