New York, 25 March 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the killing of an Iranian border guard
The Secretary-General condemns the killing of one of the five Iranian border guards who were abducted on 6 February in the country's southeast border region by a militant group. He expresses his solidarity with the Government and people of Iran, who are confronted with this appalling act amid the annual Nowruz celebrations held to commemorate in peace the start of a new year. The Secretary-General sends his condolences to the family of the slain guard. He calls for the perpetrators to be brought to justice. He hopes for the success of the ongoing efforts by the Government of Iran to achieve the release of those who remain captive.
Statements on 25 March 2014
- New York, 25 March 2014 - Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the Maldives
- Quito, Ecuador, 25 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message for the United Nations International Meeting on the Question of Palestine - "Engaging for Peace - The International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People" [delivered by Mr. Oscar Fernandez-Taranco, Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs]
- New York, 25 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message on the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade
- New York, 25 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message on International Day of Solidarity with Detained and Missing Staff Members
- Kuwait, 25 March 2014 - Secretary-General's message to 25th ordinary session of the Council of the League of Arab States [delivered by Mr. Lakhdar Brahimi, Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and the League of Arab States for Syria]