New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Lebanon - Firing of rockets against Israel
The Secretary-General is greatly concerned over yesterday’s firing of rockets from the area of Tyre, within UNIFIL’s area of operations, towards Israel, which is a clear violation of resolution 1701 (2006). UNIFIL is investigating the circumstances of the incident in cooperation with the Lebanese Armed Forces and the Israel Defense Forces.
The Secretary-General notes the retaliatory strikes by the Israel Defense Forces in Lebanon in the area of Na’ameh, and condemns any and all violations of resolution 1701 (2006). He urges all concerned to exercise maximum restraint, and cooperate with UNIFIL in order to prevent an escalation. The parties must fully adhere to resolution 1701 (2006) and respect the cessation of hostilities agreement.
The United Nations is committed to continuing to work with the parties to ensure that the calm that has prevailed continues to be sustained.
Statements on 23 August 2013
- New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the bombings in Tripoli, Lebanon
- New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria
- Gwangju, Republic of Korea, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's Video Message to Gwangju Universiade "Epics" Forum
- Seoul, Republic of Korea, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at event of the United Nations Academic Impact [As prepared]
- Seoul, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at meeting with diplomatic corps on the Millennium Development Goals and Africa: outreach on accelerating action