New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the bombings in Tripoli, Lebanon
The Secretary-General strongly condemns the two bomb explosions, shortly after Friday prayers, outside two mosques in the north Lebanese city of Tripoli, leaving tens of people killed and hundreds injured. He extends his condolences to the families of those killed and to the Government of Lebanon, and his sympathies to all those injured.
The Secretary-General calls on all Lebanese to exercise restraint, to remain united, and to support their State institutions, particularly the security forces, in maintaining calm and order in Tripoli and throughout the country, and in preventing the recurrence of such destructive actions.
The Secretary-General hopes that those responsible for such cowardly acts of violence will be brought to justice as soon as possible. He reiterates the determination of the international community to support Lebanon’s security and stability.
Statements on 23 August 2013
- New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Lebanon - Firing of rockets against Israel
- New York, 23 August 2013 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria
- Gwangju, Republic of Korea, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's Video Message to Gwangju Universiade "Epics" Forum
- Seoul, Republic of Korea, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at event of the United Nations Academic Impact [As prepared]
- Seoul, 23 August 2013 - Secretary-General's remarks at meeting with diplomatic corps on the Millennium Development Goals and Africa: outreach on accelerating action