Secretary-General's video message for "Climate Reality Project: The Dirty Weather Report" Webcast, 14-15 November
New York, 14 November 2012
Around the world, poverty is in decline. Living standards are on the rise.
But this progress is under threat.
Climate change is happening. Now.
The evidence is clear. Disappearing ice. More severe storms. Harsher droughts. Greater floods.
The impacts will be felt first and worst by the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people.
Subsistence farmers. Coastal communities. Island nations.
But no country is immune -- rich or poor.
Climate change threatens security.
Competition for depleted land and water resources can spark instability and conflict.
And it threatens prosperity.
Failed crops raise prices for all.
Disasters cost lives and livelihoods.
Two weeks ago, Hurricane Sandy struck the eastern seaboard of the United States.
A nation saw the reality of climate change.
The recovery will cost tens of billions of dollars.
The cost of inaction will be even higher.
We must reduce our dependence on carbon emissions.
That is why I have launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative.
Our goal is clear. Modern energy services for all people in all countries by 2030.
Clean, affordable sustainable energy is the foundation for the future we want -- the future we need.
Statements on 14 November 2012
- Djibouti, 14 November 2012 - Secretary-General's message to Ministerial Meeting of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation [delivered by Mr. Haile Menkerios, Special Envoy for Sudan and South Sudan]
- New York, 14 November 2012 - Statement of the Secretary-General on Internal Review Panel Report on Sri Lanka
- Brasilia, Brazil, 14 November 2012 - Secretary-General's video message to Inauguration of UN House in Brasilia
- , 14 November 2012 - Secretary-General's message to Fourteenth Annual Conference of HIgh Contracting Parties to Amended Protocol II to the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons [delivered by Mr. Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG)]
- , 14 November 2012 - Secretary-General's message to the opening of the 11th Session of the Assembly of States Parties of the International Criminal Court [delivered by UN Legal Counsel Patricia O’Brien]
- The Hague, Netherlands, 14 November 2012 - Secretary-General's video message on the occasion of the 10th Anniversary of the International Criminal Court
- Qatar, 14 November 2012 - Secretary-General's message to International Conference on Food Security in Drylands
- New York, 14 November 2012 - Secretary-General's message on World Diabetes Day
- New York, 14 November 2012 - Secretary-General's remarks at Memorial for Fallen Staff