Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Syria
New York, 21 March 2012The Secretary-General strongly welcomes the adoption today by the Security Council of a Presidential Statement in full support of the Joint Special Envoy for the United Nations and the League of Arab States, Kofi Annan.
The Secretary-General is encouraged by the clear and unified message of the Council, backing Mr. Annan’s efforts to bring an immediate end to all violence and human rights violations, secure humanitarian access, and facilitate a comprehensive political dialogue between the Syrian government and the whole spectrum of the Syrian opposition.
He adds his voice to the Council’s in calling upon the Syrian government and opposition to work in good faith with the Joint Special Envoy towards a peaceful settlement of the Syrian crisis, and to implement fully and immediately his initial six-point proposal submitted to the Syrian authorities.
As the situation continues to deteriorate on the ground, it is more urgent than ever to find a solution that will end the tragic suffering of the Syrian people. The Secretary-General hopes that this united action by the Council on Syria can mark a turning point in the international community’s response to this crisis.
Statements on 21 March 2012
- New York, 21 March 2012 - Statement Attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General on Mali
- Kuala Lumpur, 21 March 2012 - Secretary-General's Remarks at Dinner with the Honourable Dato' Sri Anifah Haji Aman, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Malaysia
- New York, 21 March 2012 - Secretary-General's message on the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- New York, 21 March 2012 - Secretary-General's message on World Down Syndrome Day
- New York, 21 March 2012 - Secretary-General's message on the International Day of Nowruz
- Jakarta, Indonesia, 21 March 2012 - Secretary-General's address to the Jakarta International Defense Dialogue: "The United Nations and global security: collaboration and partnership"