Upcoming Events (in New York unless otherwise indicated)
- UN Conference to Negotiate a Legally Binding Instrument to Prohibit Nuclear Weapons, Leading Towards their Total Elimination |UNODA (27-31 March)
- UN Commission on Population and Development, fiftieth session (3 to 7 April)
- UN Disarmament Commission (3 to 21 April)
- UN Economic and Social Council 2017 Partnership Forum on the theme ‘ Partnerships for promoting opportunities, increase prosperity and sustainable development for all” (5 April)
- The Ocean Conference (5-9 June)
The United Nations observes designated days, weeks, years, and decades, each with a theme, or topic. By creating special observances, the United Nations promotes international awareness and action on these issues. The majority of observances have been established by resolutions of the United Nations General Assembly, although some have been designated by UN specialized agencies. The United Nations also observes anniversaries of key events in its history.