Upcoming Events (in New York unless otherwise indicated)
- UN Conference on Disarmament,Third Part (2 August-16 September) (Geneva)
- Preparatory Committee established by UN General Assembly resolution 69/292: Development of international legally binding instrument under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Se on the conservation and sustainable use of marine biological diversity of areas beyond national jurisdiction, Second session (26 August to 9 September)
- Group of Government Experts on Development in the Field of Information and Telecommunications in the Context of International Security, First session (29 August to 2 September)
- UN General Assembly High-Level Forum on Culture of Peace (1 September)
- 1st Session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA71): Opens on Tuesday, 13 September 2016
- UN Summit for Refugees and Migrants (19 September)
The United Nations observes designated days, weeks, years, and decades, each with a theme, or topic. By creating special observances, the United Nations promotes international awareness and action on these issues. The majority of observances have been established by resolutions of the United Nations General Assembly, although some have been designated by UN specialized agencies. The United Nations also observes anniversaries of key events in its history.