Upcoming Events (in New York unless otherwise indicated)
- UN General Assembly 51st plenary meeting on Culture of peace - Item 15; Election of members of the Committee for Programme and Coordination - Item 116 (a); Appointment of members of the Committee on Conferences - Item 117 (e) (12 December)
- UN Security Council Non-proliferation (12 December)
- UN Security Council The question concerning Haiti (12 December)
- UN Fifth Committee 23rd and 24th plenary meetings on Programme budget for the biennium 2018-2019 - Item 136 (12 December)
- UNOCHA 2018 Humanitarian Policy Forum "Solutions for Humanity: Creating opportunities for those furthest behind" – Draft agenda (12 December)
- UN Counter-Terrorism Committee Special meeting of the Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee (CTC) to review the Madrid Guiding Principles on foreign terrorist fighters – Draft agenda (13 December)
The United Nations observes designated days, weeks, years, and decades, each with a theme, or topic. By creating special observances, the United Nations promotes international awareness and action on these issues. The majority of observances have been established by resolutions of the United Nations General Assembly, although some have been designated by UN specialized agencies. The United Nations also observes anniversaries of key events in its history.