The 2011 coordination segment took place at the United Nations Office in Geneva from 11 to 14 July 2011, and focused on two main substantive areas:
- Follow-up to the 2010 Ministerial Declaration on “implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to gender equality and the empowerment of women”
- Follow-up to the International Conference on Financing for Development
In addition, the annual overview report of the UN system Chief Executive Board for Coordination (CEB) was presented to the Council.
A special event on “The right to development and global partnership for development” was organized to mark the 25th anniversary of the adoption of the UN Declaration on the Right to Development.
In its consideration of these issues, the coordination segment provided an opportunity to identify areas where the UN system should promote more comprehensive and effective approaches and to recommend ways in which support by the UN system can be strengthened against the backdrop of current challenges.
On gender equality and the empowerment of women, the Council took stock of progress made in strengthening a coordinated approach by the UN system in this field, a year after the decision by the General Assembly to create UN Women. The Council also reviewed how the system uses the cross-cutting issues identified in the 2010 Ministerial Declaration as a leverage to accelerate progress on gender related development goals. The issue of gender mainstreaming, traditionally considered in the general segment, was considered under the coordination segment this year, for the sake of thematic coherence.
Background notes on the panels
- "Leadership, coordination and accountability: Evaluating the United Nations system's work on gender equality and women's empowerment"
- "Countering gender discrimination and negative gender stereotypes: effective policy responses"
- "Special event to mark the 25th anniversary of the adoption of the UN Declaration on the Right to Development"
- “Global Economic Governance and Development: Enhancing the coherence and consistency of the international monetary, financial and trading systems”
- “Building on Istanbul: Financial support for development efforts of LDCs,
including through South-South and triangular cooperation”
- Report of Secretary-General on the role of the UN system in implementing the ministerial declaration of the 2010 substantive session of the Council (E/2011/85)
- Report of the Secretary-General on mainstreaming a gender perspective into all policies and programmes in the United Nations system (E/2011/114)
- Summary by the President of the Council of the special high-level meeting of the Council with the Bretton Woods Institutions, the World Trade Organization and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (A/66/75-E/2011/87)
- Report of the Secretary-General on the resolution entitled “Recovering from the world financial and economic crisis: a Global jobs Pact”
- Annual overview report of the United Nations System Chief Executives Board for Coordination for 2010/11 (E/2011/104)
For information on the coordination segment, please contact Mr. Marc-André Dorel, Senior Economic Affairs Officer, ECOSOC and Interorganizational Cooperation Branch, Office of ECOSOC Support and Coordination/DESA, (212) 963-7204, firstname.lastname@example.org or write to email@example.com.
Substantive session 2011