WHAT: "Innovate Your Future: Empower Young Women through Technology" Google + Hangout organized by the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) highlighting the potential of Information and Communication Technologies in advancing gender equality and in contributing to bridging the digital divide between women and men.
WHEN: Thursday 6 June, 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. EDT
WHERE: The event can be watched live on http://gplus.to/UnitedNations
HOW TO GET INVOLVED: Questions can be submitted now or during the event here
- Ms. Geena Davis, Academy Award-winning actor and ITU Special Envoy for Women and Girls in the field of information and communication technologies
- Mr. Ahmad Alhendawi, the UN Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth
- Ms. Doreen Bogdan, Chief Strategic Planning and Membership, ITU
- Ms. Stacy Martinet, Chief Marketing Officer, Mashable
- Ms. Blair Christie, Chief Marketing Officer, Cisco
- Moderated by Mr. Gary Fowlie, Head of the liaison office of ITU in New York
WHY? Women and girls hold the key to reaching more prosperous and developed societies if they can access knowledge, education and healthcare and the tools to innovate within their communities. Technology - in particular, information and communication technologies (ICTs), such as smartphones and broadband Internet access - can be force and “voice” multipliers for girls and young women, allowing them to communicate more freely, access educational opportunities, and play greater roles in determining their futures.
The UN Economic and Social Council will address the thematic issue, "Science, technology and innovation (STI), and the potential of culture, for promoting sustainable development and achieving the MDGs" at its high-level segment, to be held in Geneva in July 2013.